Saturday, June 26, 2010
Farm Egg and Veggie Frittata
This simple yet elegant dish works well with just about any vegetable you have on hand. Try it with asparagus, or crook-neck squash, add crumbled cooked sausages or peppers...have fun and don't be afraid to experiment! Because eggs are the main ingredient, make sure they are the freshest possible.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: serves 6 as a main course
1 dozen eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream, half and half, or milk
1/2 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
2 zucchini, sliced into half moons
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 large handfuls of arugula, spinach or chopped young chard
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Set aside.
2. Beat the eggs, with salt, pepper and cream in a large mixing bowl until combined. Set aside.
3. Heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add zucchini, and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini becomes tender and onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the arugula (or whatever tender green you are using) and cook for 1-2 minutes more, or until it just begins to wilt.
4. Spread the veggies evenly out in the prepared 9x13 inch dish. Sprinkle over the cheese and then pour over the egg mixture.
5. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until puffed slightly and cooked though in the middle.
6. Garnish with minced parsley and serve warm or at room temperature.