Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Mock Mushroom Risotto with Asparagus Spears
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: serves 2 (can be easily doubled)
10 asparagus spears
5 slices of prosciutto, halved length-wise
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
4 ounces fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 cup of arborio or other short grain rice (or grain mix...I used a mixture of arborio, spelt and barley available at Trader Joe's)
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
shaved Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wrap each asparagus spear with 1/2 slice of prosciutto, put on a baking sheet and set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and mushroom and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until they begin to turn golden around the edges. Stir in garlic and cook one minute more. Remove mushroom mixture from the pot and set aside.
4. Return pot to the stove and add vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes. Uncover rice and stir in mushroom mixture. Continue to cook uncovered, stirring occasionally for 10-15 more minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
5. While rice is cooking place asparagus in the oven and roast for 10-15 minutes, or until asparagus is tender and prosciutto is crisp.
6. Spoon risotto out onto two plates and top with the roasted asparagus spears and shaved Parmesan cheese.